- The run distance to be taken from waist deep water, e.g. the run is from a flag, around a marker and to waist deep water, the aquatic components are from waist deep water around two swimming buoys and back to waist deep water
- Aquatic course must be around two swimming buoys
- Reasonable adjustment may be made for ocean conditions on the day. Please see the notes included in the Skills Maintenance Information booklet
1. Run Swim Run (timed) 200m Run / 200m Swim / 200m Run unaided in 8 minutes or less:
2. Resuscitation (CPR) with oxygen and defibrillation:
- Theory and a practical demonstration. Theory is avaliable online.
- A patient assessment on a live patient and demonstration of lateral position
- DRSABCD, CPR 1 person (adult or child AND infant) on a manikin – to include resuscitation methods using a mask
- Team CPR including DRSABCD, use of resuscitation mask with oxygen supplement and AED
3. Signals: Demonstrate the following 4 signals correctly as determined by the authorised person conducting the skills maintenance check:
- Assistance required
- Return to shore
- Proceed further out to sea
- Pick up patient to the left or right
- Please note: Signals need to be demonstrated practically, however, there is an online tool available for members to refresh their knowldge at bronzies.com.
4. Rescue (1 of either Board or Tube):
Demonstrate a rescue, using either a rescue tube or a rescue board, according to SLSA operating procedures in the current Public Safety and Aquatic Rescue Training Manual. The rescue must include the following:
- Negotiating the surf zone
- Securing the patient
- Returning to shore with the patient
- Calling for assistance
The member may choose the rescue equipment and should use swim fins during the tube rescue if available.
Theory and a practical demonstration. A scenario involving equipment (without transmitting) including at least three of the following situations must be conducted for each candidate.
- Pre operation checks
- Knowledge of local operating channels and uses
- Interpatrol communications
- Sign on/sign off
- Rescue procedures and requests for assistance